(706) 499-8842 • Call. Text. Leave Message.
In 1904 Standard Telephone Company was founded by M.C. York, a Clarkesville businessman. He had established 154 telephones in Clarkesville and 265 in Cornelia when he sold the exchanges to Mr. H.M. Stewart in 1939.
Under Mr. Stewart's management, the company initiated important improvements and began to think of expansion. Progress was slowed by rigid controls during World War II. After 1944, Mr. Stewart began acquiring additional exchanges - Dahlonega, Hiawassee, and Cleveland. In 1949, Mr. Stewart brought service for the first time ever to Blairsville.
It was the spirit of service to the people in rural areas that fueled the growth of the young phone company. In 1951, the total of six exchanges, Standard Telephone Company became a full fledged Georgia Corporation. Service to Demorest, Dawsonville, Young Harris, and later Helen expanded their base of operation to 5,000 phones in 1958.
Copyright © 2018 Habersham County Historical Society, Inc.
All rights reserved.